Getting bored with a workout routine is a common challenge that many people experience. While consistency is key, doing the same thing over, and over, and over is naturally going to get a little stale. And when it comes to working out, that can lead to less motivation, a progress plateau, and even skipping or stopping workouts. And that won’t help you reach your fitness goals.
What’s the Problem With Getting Bored?
It’s very difficult to consistently do something you don’t enjoy. And working out needs to be done consistently in order to be effective. Some people think the need to do the same activity every time, but the general recommendation for exercise is simply 150 minutes of moderate-intensity physical activity and 2 days of muscle strengthening activity, and many activities can accomplish that.
Consequences of getting boredom with your workout routine include:
- Less enthusiasm: If you don’t find your workouts enjoyable, you may dread or avoid them.
- Plateaued progress: Doing the same exercises repeatedly can stall your progress and improvement.
- Less motivation: Boredom kills motivation, and that makes it hard to reach your fitness goals.
- Greater risk of injury: If you’re not engaged in your workout, you could use poor form or otherwise position yourself for an increased risk of injury.
How to Avoid Getting Bored With Your Fitness Routine
From trying new workout routines to working with a personal trainer, there are many ways to avoid getting bored with your workouts. Below are a few of our favorites.
- Mix it up: Try different types of workouts, such as weightlifting, yoga, cardio, or HIIT. And if you’ve been doing the same two-mile run on the treadmill for too long, experiment with something else like bands or kettlebells to make things interesting.
- Set goals: Having something to work towards is a great strategy to stay motivated. Set specific goals such as running a certain distance or lifting a certain weight.
- Work out with a buddy: Exercising with a friend can make exercise more enjoyable and help to keep you accountable to not skipping workouts.
- Listen to music: Create a playlist of your favorite songs to ignite your motivation and make the time fly.
- Track progress: Log your workouts and track your progress to monitor how far you’ve come.
Enjoy a Fun Workout At the McKendree Metro Rec Plex
The McKendree Metro Rec Plex strives to be the top fitness facility in the O’Fallon, Illinois area. Our family-friendly atmosphere, child care, lessons, training sessions, and team sports practices provide a one stop shop for even the busiest of families.
Our state of the art, full-service sports complex features two NHL-sized ice rinks, an aquatic center with two pools, a fitness area, and many other amenities. Memberships and daily passes can be purchased for use of the facility and include use of all areas. And we offer childcare so you can drop off the kids while you work out!
View the fitness calendar to see current classes and opportunities.